Quick, Simple, and Fast Shredded Chicken in the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. Shredded chicken for salads, sandwiches, quesadillas, soups, and casseroles! Easy fridge storage for a busy week, and freezer friendly!
Shredded chicken is a freezer staple for me year-round! I make it in big batches for my fridge and/or freezer so I always have some chicken on hand for meals during the week.
This method to cook chicken is hands-free and so easy! You will never want to cook chicken using a different method after using the Instant Pot. This is also a great money saver because there is no more running to the store for a rotisserie chicken!
I keep my recipe super simple:
Chicken: I prefer to use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but boneless skinless thighs will work as well.
Chicken Broth: I prefer to use low sodium. Unsalted with work as well if you want greater control of the sodium levels.
Salt and Pepper.
That's it![easy-image-collage id=7603]
To make the shredded chicken:
Place the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, pour broth over the chicken, and season the chicken.
Seal the lid, and cook on high pressure for 14-16 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breasts. Manually release the pressure, remove the chicken, shred, and return the chicken to the pot with the liquid. Store in the fridge or portion for the freezer.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use frozen chicken?
Yes, using frozen chicken in the Instant Pot is one of the perks. However, you will want to make sure that you adjust the cooking time. I suggest adding 5 minutes, and make sure the chicken is not one large mass. I also suggest allowing the Instant Pot to naturally release for about 5 minutes before completing it manually.
What is the best method to shred chicken?
Two forks works great and sometimes I will shred right in the Instant Pot. However, my go-to method is in my stand mixer. Check out my post for Instant Pot Cola BBQ Chicken for my video demo of shredding chicken using my stand mixer. Remember that chicken shreds best when it is warm.
Can I use different seasonings for the chicken?
Yes! One of my favorite combos is Taco Ranch Chicken.
Follow me on Twitter for more tasty happenings!
Are you following me yet? What are you waiting for?
Check out these recipes using shredded chicken!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken (With Freezer Instructions!)
- Pressure Cooker
- 3 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Place chicken breasts on the Instant Pot.
- Add chicken broth and seasonings.
- Place cover on Instant Pot and turn vent to closed position.
- Cook on high pressure for 16 minutes if chicken breasts are larger sized. If chicken breasts are small to medium sized cook on high pressure for 14 minutes.
- Manually release the pressure until the pin releases on the lid of the pot.
- Remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to the pot to allow it to soak- up the broth. Store chicken in a sealed container for up to 4-5 days. To freeze, place chicken (I typically freeze in 2 cup portions) in a freezer safe sealable bag. Lay flat and push out the air before sealing. Store in freezer till ready to use.