As I said in my post breaking down the Perfect Deviled Egg, mixers are traditionally thought of as a baking kitchen gadget, but I use mine more often to shred meat, whip deviled egg filling, and create airy and delicious mashed potatoes. Today, I am sharing my recipe and method to making Cola BBQ Chicken in my InstantPot and how to efficiently shred the chicken using the mixer. I have embedded a few YouTube videos below so you can see my method. I find that, like with the deviled eggs, having the ability t see the tip can be more helpful and reading.
This recipe is really easy and the sauce is filled with sweet smoky deliciousness. This does not produce a thick sauce, but you can easily add a little to the top of the sandwich if you like to have a thicker saucier sandwich. The meat is juicy and tender, and I like to add a few tasty topping for an additional boost of flavor. I always add sliced dill pickles and a slice of pepper jack cheese- so delicious. My family loves this sandwich and it is perfect for a busy weeknight filled with different activities for the kiddos. I have the instructions for this recipe for my Instantpot, but this would work fine in a slow cooker, and I would adjust the temp to low and cook 7-8 hours. Tomorrow I am going to share a recipe using this BBQ chicken in the even that your family isn't wanting to have chicken sandwiches two nights so you have another yummy option to try!
InstantPot Cola BBQ Chicken
- 2 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bottle, 18 oz of your favorite BBQ Sauce
- 8 oz regular cola
- 2 Tbl apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Place rack into instant pot (if you are using a slow cooker just put the meat right into the crock). Place the chicken on rack. In a mixing bowl, whisk together bbq sauce, cola, vinegar, and spiced. Pour the bbq mixture over the chicken.
- Lock the lid and seal the vent. Set to meat with high pressure for 20 minutes. When it is done allow natural release 10 then finish with manual release.
- Remove chicken and place in mixer. Use the paddle attachment and slowly pulse to shred. It is important that you don't cram large of chicken into the mixing bowl because it could damage the mixer or spill hot chicken over the sides.. If you are cooking a larger amount of chicken I recommend that you shred in batches.
- Return shredded chicken to the pot. Gently stir and allow chicken to sit in the sauce for a few minutes before serving. If you want the chicken to soak in more flavor from the sauce, set the IP to Keep Warm.
- Serve on buns with sliced pickles and pepper jack cheese (or additional sauce if desired).
Tried this recipe? I'd love to see it! Mention @CheeseCurdInParadise or tag #cheesecurdinparadise on Instagram!
Jeannette (Jay Joy)
I love being able to use something I already have in another use! SO cool to use this to shred chicken. I never had the cola BBQ, but totally trying it.
How cool that you use the mixer to shred the chicken. I always do by hand with a fork. I must try this soon. This BBQ chicken sounds amazing.
Boy, that certainly is an unconventional way to use a mixer. Will have to give it a go. I would probably use my slow cooker since I don't have an Instant Pot. The chicken looks amazing and I know my family would love the sandwiches. This would be great on game days.
Oh my goodness this BBQ chicken sounds amazing!!! So tender, so tasty!! I will definitely be making this in my new Instant Pot when it arrives from Amazon.
BBQ is always a big hit in our home. I have never used cola in my cooking yet but have been seeing a few recipes and very intrigued. I can't wait to try this.
I've been addicted to Instant pot recipes off late and I love cooking in my instant pot so much. This cola BBQ chicken looks soooo good!
What a great family recipe. I love how easy it looks to make and serve. Thank you for sharing.
I love using my Instant Pot! Thank you for this recipe I needed some more Instant Pot recipes.