The bottom of the casserole is a delicious and savoy corn bread. Studded with green chilies, corn, and cheese the bottom is baked first, and then topped with a saucy and flavorful chicken. I top with a Mexican bland of cheese, and top with sour cream, fresh cilantro and tomatoes, and olives. The casserole is so full of flavor, and the texture of the bread base with saucy chicken is out of this world. This recipe is ready in under 45 minutes, and is one of my families favorite meals. To save time, I often make my chicken ahead of time and it makes putting the components together a breeze. The most request question I get about this dish is a shredded chicken recipe for this dish. I recommend using rotisserie or plain shredded chicken. Sometimes, if I have a little leftover, I will use leftover Taco Ranch Chicken.
I like to serve this with a green salad (sometimes garnished with a little avocado), and refried beans. Be ready to have this requested by your family over and over again!
Chicken Tamale Casserole
- 14 ¾ oz can creamed corn
- 8 ½ oz box corn muffin mix
- 4 ½ oz can diced green chilies
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 10 ½ oz can mild red enchilada sauce
- sour cream, chopped cilantro, sliced olives, and chopped tomatoes for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the creamed corn, muffin mix, chiles, sour cream, egg, cumin, and ½ cup of the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until edges begin to brown and the middle is set.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Using the back of a kitchen spoon make a few dents in the top of the cornbread mixture.
- In a medium bowl, mix the chicken and the enchilada sauce together. Evenly spread the chicken over the top of the baked corn mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1 ½ cups of the shredded cheese over the chicken.
- Bake for 15 minutes to allow cheese to melt and sides to bubble.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Slice into squares and top with sour cream, diced tomatoes, cilantro, and olives.
I love tamales, but I've never made them at home before. I love that you've created this easy recipe, and I'm definitely adding this one to my meal plan
Oooh I LOVE these kind of casseroles. The cheese and the cornbread and everything in between, heaven. Totally my kind of comfort food.
I’ve made this today for lunch and everybody loved it!! it’s truly a crowd pleaser. thank you for sharing this recipe. we just had the leftovers for dinner. it’s also really tasty cold. it sets well and you can cut it into little squares, top each one individually and make an appetizer or football snack out of it ????
Hello this is a delicious looking casserole I really think its the perfect comfort food to feed a large family or small that loves a mexican flair, everyone here will love it!
Time intensive ... that's one of the best descriptions I've seen for tamales! I love that this casserole has all the flavors, without all that labor.
This looks like a great weeknight dinner, or great for a busy weekend...like NOW!. We love Mexican food in our house. I know this would be a welcome addition to any themed night dinner.
I never get tired of chicken tamales! I think tamale booths are my favorite booths at all markets that I my family goes to. And being able to make them at home is just a blessing! Thank you for sharing your recipe.
I when you can get a few ingredients to make an awesome meal. This looks so scrumptious with all that cheese and chicken. Definitely, comfort food for dinner.
Cathleen @ A Taste of Madness
Canada isn't really big on cornbread, but I would love to try this casserole. It looks so tasty!!
Every time I hear tamales I think of my MIL. She loved them with a passion. But it was usually beef but I think the chicken tamale casserole looks and sounds even better. My grandsons would go nuts over this.
Chicken recipes are my favorite! I look forward to trying out different recipes with chicken. I will have to try this one. My whole family loves chicken!
Oh I love this. It's perfect family meal. I love how you combined corn flavor with cumin. So interesting. I must give this a try. Looks delicious!
This looks absolutely delicious! Perfect for busy weeknights and I know it's a dish the whole family will love!
I have always thought that Tamales were very hard to make. Love your recipe as a casserole. This would be great for weeknight dinners and so delicious.
This is great idea of combining Tamales and casserole in one for. Love this one pot wonder. This will be great idea for busy weeknights.