The bottom of the casserole is a delicious and savoy corn bread. Studded with green chilies, corn, and cheese the bottom is baked first, and then topped with a saucy and flavorful chicken. I top with a Mexican bland of cheese, and top with sour cream, fresh cilantro and tomatoes, and olives. The casserole is so full of flavor, and the texture of the bread base with saucy chicken is out of this world. This recipe is ready in under 45 minutes, and is one of my families favorite meals. To save time, I often make my chicken ahead of time and it makes putting the components together a breeze. The most request question I get about this dish is a shredded chicken recipe for this dish. I recommend using rotisserie or plain shredded chicken. Sometimes, if I have a little leftover, I will use leftover Taco Ranch Chicken.
I like to serve this with a green salad (sometimes garnished with a little avocado), and refried beans. Be ready to have this requested by your family over and over again!
Chicken Tamale Casserole
- 14 3/4 oz can creamed corn
- 8 1/2 oz box corn muffin mix
- 4 1/2 oz can diced green chilies
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 10 1/2 oz can mild red enchilada sauce
- sour cream, chopped cilantro, sliced olives, and chopped tomatoes for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the creamed corn, muffin mix, chiles, sour cream, egg, cumin, and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until edges begin to brown and the middle is set.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Using the back of a kitchen spoon make a few dents in the top of the cornbread mixture.
- In a medium bowl, mix the chicken and the enchilada sauce together. Evenly spread the chicken over the top of the baked corn mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese over the chicken.
- Bake for 15 minutes to allow cheese to melt and sides to bubble.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Slice into squares and top with sour cream, diced tomatoes, cilantro, and olives.