Pepperoni Pizza Burgers are a combination bringing together the best of both worlds! Beef, sausage, mozzarella, grilled pepperoni, and zesty pizza sauce on a toasted bun make one delicious burger.
It is July. It is burger time. We are year-round grillers, but during summer we grill multiple times per week, and it is one of my favorite things about summer. Today, a few friends and I are sharing some of our favorite burger recipes with you. I am sharing one of my family’s all-time favorite- my Pepperoni Pizza Burger.
This is not any run-of-the-mill burger. I use ground beef, Italian sausage, crispy GRILLED pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce filled with lots of herbs and spices. This Italian style burger is served on a toasted bun, and to not skip this step because it gives the burger a delicious crunch- just like pizza.
What do you need to make a Pepperoni Pizza Burger?
- Ground Beef
- Ground Italian Sausage
- Large Pepperoni Slices
- Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- Pizza Sauce
- Hamburger Buns- I like to get a hearty bun so it can hold all this deliciousness
- Salt, Pepper, and Italian Seasoning
- ThermoPop Thermometer- temping your meat will allow you to get the best results when grilling. I know, I know…you “never” use a thermometer- my husband was one of these people at one point…. Become a person who temps their food because all products are not the same, and inconsistency in cooking is no good, and neither is cutting into your meat to check if it is pink. All the flavorful juices come pouring out, and typically this leads to over cooking because meat needs a chance to rest and the temperature will still slightly rise after it is remove from the heat. I swear by my ThermoPop because I love my meat grilled to perfection, and have used it for years. Plus, they are back-lite and come in a ton of fun colors!
Follow me on Twitter for more delicious happenings!
Are you following me yet? What are you waiting for?
Check out more delicious burger recipes!
Bodacious Burger Recipes
- Burgers with Bacon Bourbon Burger Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lentil Mushroom Burger by That Recipe
- Meatloaf Burgers by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mushroom Beef Burger by Art of Natural Living
- Oklahoma Fried Onion Short Rib Burgers by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pepperoni Pizza Burger by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Rabbit Sausage Burger with Carrot Horseradish Aioli by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- The Ultimate Taco Burger by Our Good Life
Frequently Asked Questions
I don’t like Italian sausage- can I leave it out?
Absolutely, just sub in ground beef in place.
Why do you grill the pepperoni?
It is soooooooooooo good. You know when you order it on pizza and the side curl-up and get crispy and crunchy? This does the same thing and it is one of m favorite textures in this burger!
I don’t eat beef or pork- will chicken work?
For sure! You can grill a chicken breast and use it in place of the burger, or you could even use ground chicken (or turkey). I recommend seasoning the chicken with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Can I make these in a skillet?
Yes you can! The pepperoni will be different, but you can still pan fry before cooking the burgers.
Do you use fresh mozzarella cheese ?
I opt for slices for this burger because it melts a little faster. Fresh would be delicious, but make sure that the slice isn’t too thick.
I like a loaded pizza- can I add other toppings?
Um yum! Sure you can! If you want to make a supreme pizza burger I would saute the mushrooms, peppers, and onions before cooking. I would place them on top of the burger right after the pepperoni, but before the cheese.
What is a safe temp for the burgers?
Good question! If you are just using beef I like a medium burger and will remove the burger at 150°F (medium temperature), and let it rest (if you prefer a well-done burger cook the burger to 160°-165°F). If you are mixing in the sausage you want to remove the burger at 160°F and let it rest and it will be around 165°. If you are using chicken or turkey the same rules applied as they do to sausage.
Looking for more summer grilling favorites!?
Pepperoni Pizza Burger
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 8 large pepperoni slices
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- In a bowl, mix by hand the beef, sausage, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Form the meat into 4 burger patties. Set aside.
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high heat. Using a tongs, place pepperoni on the grill. Cook for about 30-45 seconds and flip. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Butter both sides the buns. Place buns quickly on the grill to get a light toast. Be certain not to leave them on more than 20-30 seconds because they will burn. You can also toast them on a skillet or in the oven as well.
- Place burgers on the grill. Grill 4 minutes, and then flip. Wait an additional 4 minutes, and check the temperature of the burgers. The burgers should be 160°F before removing from the grill. Just before you remove the burgers add a slice of mozzarella to each burger and allow a few minutes for it to melt. Remove burgers and allow them to rest 2-3 minutes.
- Spread 1 tbsp of pizza sauce on the bottom bun. Follow with the burger, and then with 2 slices of grilled pepperoni. Top with additional sauce and bun. Serve and enjoy!
Cheese Curd In Paradise uses affiliate links. These links are at no additional cost to the reader and/or user. However, Cheese Curd In Paradise will make commission is you click the link AND make a purchase.
This post was originally created in 2015, and updated in 2019 for reader enhancement and recipe updating.