Soup is a must for my family in the winter. We love trying new recipes, but are always comforted by our old favorites. Easy Lasagna Soup is just what is says. Easy. Perfect for a weeknight because it is ready in 30 minutes, and it is packed full of delicious ingredients like mild italian sausage, tomatoes, fresh basil, and noodles. It is a soup that satisfies all of our bellies on a cold night.
This soup is so hearty and thick it will stick to your ribs! The pasta cooks right in the broth alongside the sausage. The flavors are so rich and tasty you think it has been simmering all day, and not just 30 minutes! I love recipes like this one because it gives an all-day cook flavor for a fraction of the time. Since weeknights can be so hectic for everyone it is wonderful to have a recipe, like this one, in your back pocket. One note on this soup is that it gets very thick overnight due to the pasta. I will add a little water or broth before I heat it to help, but you could skip that step and eat it as a thick and chunky stew. Speaking of noodles, I like to use mafalda noodles in this soup. They look like small lasagna noodles and work really well. I have also had success with rotini or broken lasagna noodles as well.
As I said before, perk of this meal is that it is made in 30 minutes. I know that after a crazy day the last thing I want to do is cook and this comes together so quickly it makes cooking a nice meal for my boys a breeze, and it gives me a bowl full of yummy leftovers for lunch the following afternoon.
I have been busy in cookie making mode to share a few favorites with all of you. I have been working on a slice able shortbread recipe, and I am quickly realizing how bad my ability is to make uniform cookie slices! Practice with those types of recipes makes perfect, and tomorrow will be a new batch so I can perfect my cutting rations (no burned edges!). Once I get my technique perfected I will share and be able to add a few of my tips and tricks for a cookies perfect for an exchange. Speaking of cookie exchanges, I am participating in one on Sunday, and am so excited to taste all of the tasty offerings. I am making a big pot of chili and there will be wine to pair with out cookies so we can sit and munch all afternoon. Out local theater is also showing Home Alone, and we may make a run over there this weekend- especially since I am convinced that Kellen is a mini version of Kevin McAlister. Have a wonderful Friday, and a lovely weekend!
Easy Lasagna Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 lb mild italian sausage
- 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups uncooked mafalda noodles
- ⅔ cup shredded mozzarella, plus extra for topping
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion and sausage.
- Cook sausage till it breaks into crumbles and onions begin to soften.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, and basil. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add water and pasta and simmer till pasta is tender. Gently stir in the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve in bowls and top with a little extra cheese if desired.
Tried this recipe? I'd love to see it! Mention @CheeseCurdInParadise or tag #cheesecurdinparadise on Instagram!