It is soooooo cold in Wisconsin. We had this bump of “warm” weather, and now back to cold is not so fun. I actually like winter, but not when it is below zero….mainly because my kids are trapped in the house and start to go nuts. We have been avoid most child heavy public places because the flu is going strong so we have been feeling a little cooped up. I am not a person that is skiddish about germs, but I am really trying my best to keep the boys healthy. I saw a GIF yesterday that was a person snapping their head around and glaring at the sound of a person coughing….my fingers are still crossed for a healthy family. I feel after the double hand foot and mouth plague in fall that we might get a pass. I am now knocking on anything wood in my house….
Today, I am sharing a delicious soup recipe from Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen that will warm you, or comfort you if you are under the weather. I added bacon to our soup, but that is not in the original recipe. The recipe uses chicken broth and is not vegetarian, but you could easily sub in vegetable broth to make it a hearty vegetarian meal. We also topped ours with a little additional cheese because…well…. we love cheese. This recipe was so good
Tomorrow is my birthday! I don’t really have much planned aside from dinner with my family at one of my favorite restaurants. I am keeping my fingers crossed for some birthday cake as well!
Tuscan White Bean Soup
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 15 oz can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 5 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup dry ditalini pasta
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese, grated (plus extra for topping)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Saute celery, onion, and garlic is a medium soup pot. When vegetables begin to soften, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add beans and pasta and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes and add the cheese and bacon. Continue cooking another 5 minutes until pasta is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and top with additional cheese if desired.