Red Wine Herb Marinara is a delicious full-bodied pasta sauce. Filled with red wine, fresh herbs, onions, canned whole tomatoes, and garlic. Serve over pasta with Parmesan, as a pizza sauce, or a dipping sauce for breadsticks.
In August, my garden is overflowing with delicious fresh herbs, onions, and tomatoes.
My Red Wine Herb Marinara Sauce has little twist on a traditional marinara with a generous amount of red wine and a nice long simmer on the stove top.
I love marinara sauce and this is fantastic. I like to freeze the remaining sauce to use for a quick weeknight meal for my family -spaghetti and meatballs or a pizza anyone?
This recipe uses canned whole tomatoes. It is perfect to use last year's canned tomatoes. However, if you do not have canned at home tomatoes I recommend canned san marazano tomatoes.
This marinara sauce is so robust in flavor. The wine in the marinara sauce is delicious, and it is a perfect compliment to all of the fresh herbs.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
- olive oil
- white onion
- bell pepper
- canned whole peeled tomatoes
- red wine
HOW DO YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Saute onions, garlic, carrots and pepper for 3 minutes on medium heat.
Add herbs, canned whole tomatoes, and red wine. Lightly simmer for 2 hours stirring every 15 minutes and breaking the tomatoes up with a spoon.
Using and immersion blender blend the sauce till smooth (if you don't have one you can use a regular blender or opt for a chunkier sauce). Add with salt and sugar and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
The sauce will keep for about a week, but can be frozen and used later.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS PASTA SAUCES?
If you’ve tried my RED WINE HERB MARINARA SAUCE or any other recipe on Cheese Curd In Paradise please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
Red Wine Herb Marinara Sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 56 oz canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 ½ tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 ½ tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 4 ½ tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 ½ tbsp chopped fresh orgeano
- 1 ½ cups red wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Saute onions, garlic, carrots and pepper for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add herbs, tomatoes and red wine. Lightly simmer for 2 hours stirring every 15 minutes and breaking the tomatoes up with a spoon.
- Using and immersion blender blend the sauce till smooth (if you don't have one you can use a regular blender or opt for a chunkier sauce). Add with salt and sugar and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- The sauce will keep for about a week, but can be frozen and used later.
Thursday’s Farmers Market Week Recipes
- Green Beans with Poblano Peppers by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Chicken Skillet Dinner by Family Around the Table
- Marinated Vegetable Sandwiches by Kate's Recipe Box
- Peach Cherry Protein Smoothie by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Red Wine Herb Marinara Sauce by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Rustic Peaches and Cream by Making Miracles
Cheese Curd In Paradise uses affiliate links. These links are at no additional cost to the reader and/or user. However, Cheese Curd In Paradise will make commission is you click the link AND make a purchase