Garlic Scape Pesto is a unique pesto using almonds, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and olive oil. This pesto is delicious tossed with pasta, grilled veggies, or spread over fresh bread.
Garlic scapes are the tender stem and flower neck of hardneck garlic plants. They are pungent and zesty, but an absolute treat to eat each year.
I get really excited when I see garlic scapes starting infiltrate the local markets, and I always buy a bunch to make my favorite Garlic Scape Pesto.
This easy and unique pesto recipe is super simple, and takes about 10 minutes to make. It also freezes well so it can be enjoyed in the winter.
I actually like to freeze this particular pesto because the flavor mellows a bit and it is, in my opinion, a little sweeter. This recipe is also wonderful fresh out of the food processor, but it is a little stronger in flavor.
My recipe is a little different than a standard pesto. It is a pesto that has nut, but I opt for almonds over pine nuts or pistachios. I like the flavor of the almonds, and they provide a slightly coarse texture to the pesto.
WHAT DO YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE?
- garlic scapes
- unsalted almonds
- Parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
HOW DO YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Puree the garlic scapes, almonds, cheese, salt, and pepper in a food processor until very finely chopped.
With the food processor running, slowly pour the oil through the opening. Store in an airtight container in the fridge up to a week or freeze.
MORE WAYS TO COOK AND PREPARE GARLIC SCAPES!
Garlic scapes go beyond pesto and are delicious cooked in many different ways.
Here are a few of my favorites:
- Grilled Garlic Scapes- coat in a little oil and seasoning and grill.
- Stir-Fry with protein and veggies
- Chopped and added to eggs, risotto, salads, or even pizza
- Pickled garlic scapes
- Garlic scape hummus
- Compound butter makes with salt, pepper, and chopped garlic scapes
If you’ve tried my GARLIC SCAPE PESTO or any other recipe on Cheese Curd In Paradise please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
Garlic Scape Pesto
- 10 garlic scapes
- ⅓ cup unsalted almonds
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Puree the garlic scapes, almonds, cheese, salt, and pepper in a food processor until very finely chopped.
- With the food processor running, slowly pour the oil through the opening. Store in an airtight container in the fridge up to a week or freeze.
Wednesday’s Farmers Market Week Recipes
- Bacon-Wrapped Cheese-Stuffed Baby Bell Peppers by Books n' Cooks
- Cheesy Tomato and Squash Casserole by Blogghetti
- Corn and Bacon Casserole by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Farmer's Market Tortellini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Garlic Scape Pesto by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon Raspberry Buckle by Savory Moments
- Mexican Street Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Mushroom Ceviche by The Freshman Cook
- Orange Cantaloupe Smoothie by Making Miracles
- Blackened Steak Cobb Salad by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Pesto Chicken Lasagna by The Spiffy Cookie
- Root Beer Float Smoothie Popsicles by Our Sutton Place