Weeknight dinners are always the biggest juggling act in my house. Who will eat what, who has what going on that night, and when is there time to cook! My Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole is one of my favorites to pop in the oven in a busy evening to have a filling and hearty dinner for my family.
This recipe can easily be made in advance, or it can be frozen for a later time. In both scenarios, I advise to wait and add breadcrumbs right before baking to ensure a nice crisp and buttery topping.
This casserole uses ground chicken, 3 cheeses, sour cream, and is not only delicious, but so rich and creamy. The leftovers heat up nicely, and I love to serve it with steamed green beans, or a side salad to cut some of the richness from the cheese.
This casserole is my go to when I am making a meal for someone to bring to their home. I have made it for a few friends and family members after babies and it get excellent reviews, and it is still one of my husband's favorite meals.
This recipe uses ground chicken, and I prefer that to cubed chicken in casseroles because I feel like it cooks more evenly, and the texture is better than larger pieces of chicken. If you prefer chopped chicken you can sub it in this recipe for the ground. I would recommend using the same weight amount, cutting it in bite-sized pieces, and follow the cooking instructions.
Follow me on Twitter for more yummy happenings!
Wisconsin has had a strange winter so far. Temps have been all over the place and right now it is pretty cold. To me, that kind of cold weather makes me want to hunker down and enjoy comforting food like this, and a cozy blanket. We have been enjoying using our fireplace at our new home. Our old house did not have a fireplace so it has been a fun experience to have a fire and cozy up to a show in the evening. We are currently watching the show FBI since we are still waiting for season 13 of Criminal Minds to come out on Netflix.
What are your current favorite shows? We love crime and thriller type shows, and are always looking for recommendations.
Next week I start my new adventure student teaching! I am nervous how well I will be able to juggle life, but I am sure I will adjust and am looking forward to learning all sorts of new things! My teacher readers- what are good tips you remember from your student teaching days?
Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ⅓ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 oz Velveeta or American cheese, chopped to small pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook ground chicken in a skillet until completely cooked through. Add soup, sour cream, pepper, garlic powder, ⅔ cup cheddar cheese, mozzarella, and velveeta, milk, and broth to skillet. Gently stir till combined. Add cooked pasta and gently stir.
- Mix breadcrumbs with melted butter and set aside.
- Spread pasta mixture in the baking dish. Top with remaining ⅔ cup of cheddar cheese and evenly top with buttered breadcrumbs. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.