Spooky Pasta and Eyeballs is a savory Halloween meal that everyone will love. A simple meatball recipe with an olive makes a glaring eyeball. Served with pasta and a quick meat sauce make a ghoulish delight on fright night!
You guys. It is officially spooky time. October means that Halloween is getting closer, and it is my favorite holiday. I love creepy things, scary movies, costumes, and all the campy fun that Halloween has to offer.
One of my favorite things to do is to make Halloween themed dinners for the nights leading to, and the night of Halloween. My kids and I like to get into it, and they always have all sorts of suggestions for me.
Recently, my oldest wanted something with eyeballs, and I served him requested plate of Pasta and Eyeballs. This freaky dish incorporates a simple baked meatball with an olive to make an eyeball, a simple meat sauce, and pasta. It is so easy, and perfect to warm the bellies of your trick or treaters! I love the serve this is garlic bread to ward off the vampires, or breadsticks shaped as snakes!
This recipe is great for a party as well because the meatballs and sauce can be kept warm in the slow cookers after cooked, and the pasta is servable any time!
Halloween Party Recipes
- Cream Cheese Wonton Bats by That Recipe
- Easy Mummy Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Graveyard Cupcakes by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Halloween Rice Krispie Treats by Family Around the Table
- Meringue Ghost Cookies by Art of Natural Living
- Pasta and Eyeballs by Cheese Curd In Paradise
What do I need to make Pasta and Eyeballs?
- Lean ground beef
- Bread crumbs
- Sour Cream
- Green Olives
- Tomato Sauce
- Baking sheet
Follow me on Twitter for more testy happenings!
What are some of your favorite Halloween traditions? Do you have kids that love to trick or treat, do you watch scary movies, have a Halloween party, or cook spooky recipes? Maybe you are like me and it is a mix of all of the above?!
I keep going back and forth on a Halloween party for Kellen and his friends. I think he would absolutely love it, but we have not done something like that before. Any tips from parents how have hosted for their kiddos?
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use crushed crackers in place of bread crumbs?
Yes, if you are using a salted cracker I would reduce the salt added to the meatballs to avoid them being too salty.
Can I use a combination of beef and pork for the meatballs?
Yes, just make sure the total weight for the meatballs is the same.
Can I use turkey for the meatballs and sauce?
I have not tested this meatball recipe with turkey to report results. However, ground turkey will work for the sauce on a 1:1 ratio.
What type of pasta sauce do you recommend?
I just use a traditional jarred sauce for this recipe. I have homemade recipe, but I typically make this on Halloween and shortcuts are essential!
Can I use black olives for the eyes?
Sure, I love the look of the green olive, but black works too. You could even stuff a pimento into the black olive to get the red look.
What more Halloween Treats!?
Pasta and Eyeballs
- 2 lbs lean ground beef, divided
- ½ diced white onion
- 24 oz pasta sauce
- ¾ cup pankp bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb shaped pasta
- 20 green olives
For the meatballs:
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchments paper or foil. Set aside.
- Place 1 ¼ lbs of ground been into a bowl. Add breadcrumbs, eggs,salt, pepper, parsley garlic powder. Add eggs, milk, and sour cream. Gently mix with hands till evenly mixed.
- To assemble, take a ball of meat and fit it around a green olive so the pimento is showing. Repeat until you run out of meat.
- Place meatballs on the baking sheet. Once completed, Coo in the over for 20 minutes.
For spaghetti sauce:
- Place renaming ground beef in a skillet. Add diced onions.
- One the beef is cooked and onions tender, add the pasta sauce. Allow sauce to simmer while the meatballs cook.
- once finished, place pasta in the bowl, then the add meatballs and sauce.