There are so many sweet and delicious Halloween treats to share and, while that is all wonderful, I thought a savory option was important. I mean, we all need something hearty to brave a cool Halloween night, and to lay down a solid layer for all of the Halloween goodies, Right?
I bring you Meaty Bat Wing Pasta. The perfect combination of savory beef, pasta, and gooey cheese. My family always finds a bit of bat wing quality to farfalle pasta, and it makes the perfect bat wings for this pasta dish. I have seen black bean farfalle in the natural food section, and that would bring this festive meal up to another level of Halloween spookiness.
I love the cobweb effect the cheese has in this casserole! I told my kiddos that we were having bat wings for dinner, and they did not know what to think. They are at the age when they aren't entirely sure when I am joking or serious. It is fun to watch their faces crinkle trying to flush-out what I had announced. However, once I served dinner they were thrilled and happily gobbled up their bat wings. I actually think the whimsical banter before this meal made them eat better than they normally do! Who says that you can't play with your food?
This recipe is only 5 ingredients, and I perfect for a weeknight spooky dinner, or Halloween night. I enjoy holidays and cooking, but I don't like feeling tied to my kitchen and miss the fun. This recipe provides an opportunity for a hearty meal, but doesn't take all of your time from the festivities. I make and freeze my own marinara sauce, but a store bought sauce works perfect. I have tested this recipe with my sauce and store bought, and both have created delicious results my family loved. I also use a whole milk ricotta in this recipe, but cottage cheese would work as well on a 1:1 ratio, but you will not have as smooth as a sauce using cottage cheese over ricotta.
In other news, I know I have bombarded you with my kitchen cabinet woes, but it looks like they will finally finish today or tomorrow morning! There are not words for my excitement, and to get my kitchen back feels like the ultimate treat! I have an super fun (and sweet) event starting next week, and I can't wait to get a few of the final touches on my dishes to share them with you!
I would love to know, what are some of your favorite Halloween dishes? Any traditions with leftover candy?
5-Ingredient Bat Wing Pasta
- 1 lb farfalle pasta
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 ½ cups marinara sauce
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a pot, begin cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta cooks, brown the ground beef in a medium dutch oven or large rimmed skillet until it is no longer pink. Note: you want to cooking dish large enough to accommodate the pasta and meat.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- To the beef, add marinara sauce, ricotta, ½ cup of shredded cheese and stir well. Season with salt and pepper is desired.
- Turn heat to low. Gently fold in the pasta with the meat mixture. Stir gently to evenly incorporate everything.
- Top the pasta with the remaining cheese and allow cheese to melt (placing the cover on top will allow cheese to melt faster).
- Serve and enjoy!