Football season is officially here for Packer fans tomorrow with our season opener. I am from Green Bay and we are a football town. The place is dead during games. The exception to that rule is those who really need to get something done, and want to avoid crowds. Also, most place have the game on the loudspeaker so you have the option to listen while you grocery shop.
My family has season tickets and we divide out the tickets and attend a game each year. This year we are going to the Monday night game in October. Besides watching the game, Ron and I like to hunt for the new stadium foods. Our seats are close to the cheese curds, and those are a must at Lambeau.
When we are not at the stadium we like to keep our game day menus packed with favorites like brats, bbq, burgers, grilled chicken, and sandwiches. Today, I am sharing a delicious Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork you can make in the Instant Pot or the slow cooker.
I love sandwiches with shredded meat of some type. BBQ pork and chicken are staples in our house. I love it on a pretzel bun with a little extra sauce, and a few dill pickles.
This recipe pressure cooks the meat in a savory seasoned beer. I then shred the meat and add it back to the liquid with a little bbq sauce. The instant pot will have a bit of liquid in it, and if you prefer a thicker coating or do not want to top with sauce, I recommend draining some liquid before returning the shredded meat to the instant pot.
The pork has amazing flavor from the beer and seasonings. I like to add a little apple cider vinegar to give the meal a little tang to offset the sweet flavors from the bbq sauce. I use a sweeter bbq in this recipe, but if you already use a tangy sauce you can decrease the vinegar if you prefer to get your tangy from the sauce.
My family went crazy for this pork, and thankfully I made two batches and it freezes well so we can enjoy it for game day tomorrow! I am planning to make sandwiches and then use some of it to create some loaded cheese fries for the kiddos (who am I kidding- ADULTS TOO).
What are some of your favorite game day foods? What screams football to you???
Instant Pot BBQ Beer Pulled Pork
- 3 lbs pork shoulder
- 12 oz light beer
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup BBQ sauce
- Place pork should in the instant pot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together beer, vinegar, seasonings, and brown sugar. Pour mixture over pork and flip to coat.
- Place cover on instant pot and seal. Cook on high pressure for 65 minutes. Allow natural pressure release for 10 minutes and manually release the pressure.
- Remove top and shred the pork. Pour your favorite bbq sauce of the pork and gently stir to coat. Serve immediately, or use keep warm setting till you are ready to serve on bun and top with additional BBQ sauce, if desired.