Easy Flag Fruit Kabobs are simple healthy snack or party treat. Served with a vanilla coconut strawberry dipping sauce these are a patriotic party must-have!
This post contains affiliate links.
4th of July is coming in a few weeks, and that means fireworks, parties, and lots of food! We typically spend the 4th in Door County, and I love to serve my kiddos and their cousin fun themed snacks. We have our fair share of not so healthy snacks over the holiday so when I can include a healthy treat everyone will eat I am all over it.
The end of June and early July is prime strawberry time where I live in northeastern Wisconsin. What better treat to celebrate than with my Easy Flag Fruit Kabobs.
I keep these kabobs simple with fresh berries and a vanilla coconut dipping sauce. This recipe is quick to come together, and always a hit with my kidds (and adults too!).
To make the kabobs I halve my strawberries lengthwise. After I have put the fruit on the skewers I trim a little bit of the sides of the berry so it can make a flag shape. I use the trimming in my dipping sauce- or sometimes they only get as far as my mouth!
I make a very simple dipping sauce to go with the fruit kabobs. I use vanilla yogurt, a little coconut extract, and the strawberry trimmings. I absolutely love the combination of the vanilla, coconut, and strawberry. A little tropical from the coconut, a little sweet from the yogurt, and the fresh taste of the strawberries is delicious!
Here are some great products to help you get started with your kabobs!
Check out more delicious patriotic party idea !
Patriotic Party Ideas
- Easy Flag Fruit Kabobs by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- No Bake Summer Berry Icebox Cake by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Patriotic Fruit and Cheese Skewers by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Red White and Blue Burgers by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Red White and Blueberry Parfait by Art of Natural Living
- Red, White, and Blue Scones by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shortcake Bar by The Freshman Cook
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use different berries?
Yes! For I suggest: red grapes or raspberries. For blue I suggest: blackberries or black grapes.
Can I add white stripes?
Yes! I typically don't just because I wanted them to be fresh berries, but for white I suggest: sliced banana, marshmallows, or cubed angel food or pound cake.
Can I use a different extract besides coconut?
Yes! I suggest using vanilla for a stronger vanilla flavor, or almond.
Can I make these a day prior to my party?
Yes! I would not suggest going out further than that because you are slicing into the fruit.
Follow me on Twitter for more tasty happenings!
Are you following me yet? What are you waiting for?
Looking for more 4th of July appetizers!?
Easy Flag Fruit Kabobs
- 11 wooden skewers, 12″
- 1 ½ lbs fresh stawberries
- 1 pt fresh blueberries
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- ½ tsp coconut extract
- Slice strawberries in half lengthwise and set aside
- 6 skewers will be half blueberries and half strawberries. The remaining skewers will just have strawberries. Place fruit accordingly on the skewers.
- Once fruit is places arrange with the starbwberry and blueberry skewers first followed by the all strawberry.
- Trim the sides of the berries so the will evenly line-up. Save the strawberry bits for the vanilla coconut dipping sauce.
Vanilla Coconut Strawberry Dip
- Add yogurt to a small bowl. Mix in extract and strawberries. Plate with the skewers.