It is time for the October Soup Swap is here and I am the host this month!
I selected the theme, “Soups from your State (Regional Soups)”. I know there are so many types of soups or flavor combos unique to the different participants, and was excited to see what everyone came up with.
I decided to make a variation of a beer cheese soup. Beer cheese is, not surprisingly, a popular soup in Wisconsin. It is frequently on restaurant menus using various types of local beers and cheeses. The beer cheese combo isn’t limited to soup in my neck of the woods. It is not uncommon to see if as a sauce for a burger or a dip. In Wisconsin, we are so luck to have a plethora of delicious local cheeses and beer right at our finger tips. For this soup, I used Wisconsin’s Spotted Cow and sharp cheddar from Steve’s Cheese. I also decided to load this soup up and pair the beer cheese with a loaded baked potato. This soup is delicious and a perfect blend of a few of my favorite Wisco flavors.
I am so excited to see what everyone else made from their regions!
Loaded Beer Cheese Potato Soup
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 lb russet potato, peeled and chopped (set 1 cup aside)
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup beer, I do not recommend using a dark beer
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (plus extra for topping)
- 3 green onions sliced
- Sour Cream
- Salt and Pepper
- Saute potatoes (minus one reserved cup), carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in a soup pot. When vegetables begin to soften and onions become translucent add chicken broth and milk. Simmer till veggies are soft.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender or in a stand blender. You do not need to blend the soup, but it will result in a much thinner consistency. Add the remaining potatoes to the blended soup. Add a the beer and cook till the potatoes are soft.
- Once the potatoes are soft stir in cheese and bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper. Top with additional crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, sour cream, and sliced green onions