Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup is a weeknight favorite. Ready in 30 minutes, packed with chicken, and simmered in a delicious cheesy broth. A delicious and easy soup for a weeknight dinner.
I hate to say it.
Yes, I hate to say it.
But, school is upon us. We, thankfully, have a few more weeks, but I am seeing first day of school pictures beginning to roll across my newsfeed, and I know it is time to start planning to make the transition easier.
If you are like me, you are have busy weeknights, and dinner can seem like a pain in the butt afterthought. I know, I know.... I write about food so it must be easy, right. WRONG. I get tired, busy, and stuck in a rut too. I have made it a goal to go into this year a little more organized, and wanted to share with you my methods to meal plan and staples that I rely on to make my day a little less chaotic.
First, I love anything I can prep in advance and, essentially, dump into a pot. Enter my recipe for Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup. This recipe is ready in 30 minutes, and is slow cooker friendly for those nights that everyone is on a different schedule.
I prep shredded chicken in advance, portion it, and freeze it for quick meals during the week. I like to use my instant pot and my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe, but you can also use a crockpot to make the chicken, portion it, and freeze it. I like to pack this soup with chicken, onions, pepper, beans, corn, enchilada sauce, seasoning, and cheese. It is so filling and hearty, and my kiddos absolutely love when there is a pot simmering on the stove. This soup also freezes nicely, and is a great option to make in advance to thaw at a later time.
The next two weeks are going to be all about BACK TO SCHOOL! Tune in for tons of great recipes to fill your meal plans!
Follow me on Twitter for more delicious happenings!
Are you following me yet? What are you waiting for?
What do you need to make Easy Enchilada Soup?
- Shredded Chicken
- Diced Onions and Peppers
- Black Beans
- Diced Green Chilies
- Diced Tomatoes
- Seasonings: Salt, Pepper, and Cumin
- Red Enchilada Sauce
- Chicken Broth
- Monterey and Pepper Jack Cheese
- Soup Kettle
- Slow Cooker (if you are opting for this cooking method)
- Instant Pot (if you are making chicken)
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if I am not using shredded chicken- can I saute it?
Yes! Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and saute in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once cooked, remove and proceed with the stove top or slow cooker recipe as stated.
Not a fan of black beans- what can I use?
I suggest subbing pinto beans for black beans! If you do not like beans you can leave them out and add additional corn or tomatoes.
What kind of topping do you suggest?
I suggest sour cream, extra cheese, olives, chopped cilantro, or even crushed tortilla chips. Plain out of the kettle is also delicious!
How do I make shredded chicken in an instant pot?
I have a great recipe and tips- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
How do you freeze the soup?
I scoop the soup soup into freeze safe bags. Leave some room at the top and push out the air. I freeze my soups flat because I think they are easier to thaw.
Looking for more back to school winners?!
Taco Ranch Shredded Chicken (Great for Taco Night!)
Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup (+ Slow Cooker Instructions)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 7 oz canned diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 ½ cups shredded chicken
- 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup monterey jack cheddar cheese
- ⅔ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
Stove Top Instructions
- To a soup pot, add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers and cook till tender- about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, black beans, corn, and chilies. Stir to evenly mix.
- Add salt, pepper, and cumin. Stir. Add chicken, enchilada sauce, and broth and stir. Lightly simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir. Lightly simmer for an additional 5 minutes and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Place all ingredients besides cheese into a slow cooker. Stir to mix.
- Place cover on top and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Right before you are ready to serve stir in the cheese.
Cheese Curd In Paradise uses affiliate links. These links are at no additional cost to the reader and/or user. However, Cheese Curd In Paradise will make commission is you click the link AND make a purchase.
This post was originally created in 2011, and updated in 2019 for reader enhancement and recipe updating.