Potato salad is a summer staple for me and my family. Our local deli makes a great potato salad, and many time to defer to them because I love their recipe. Sometimes, however, I get tired of the mayo based salads and want something a little more refreshing when it is hot outside. The other night we had our friends over to hang out, soak in the hot tub, and grill steaks. I wanted a chilled side to go with the steaks, but was not in the mood for a traditional style potato salad, and wanted something simple. I put together this Pesto Parmesan Potato Salad to pair with our grilled steaks, and it was delicious.
I loved the light flavors from the pesto, slight kick from the green onion and pepper, and the saltiness of the Parmesan cheese. I used red potatoes because I had no desire to peel the potatoes, and the skins add a nice texture versus the thicken skin of the russet. If you prefer using a russet potato you can, but I recommend peeling. If you do not like red potatoes I think a yukon gold will work well and the skin can stay on those as well.
I have a few serving left of this in my fridge right now, and going to dig in for lunch! I also have a few slices of the chocolate cheesecake my friend brought over….that will be eaten at nap time so I don’t have to share with my children. Because I am an adult and that is how I roll.
Today, we are lazing around our house. We have been in such a crazy mode of go-go-go since moving it is nice to sit and relax. The last month has been a ongoing cycle of furniture assembly, and people in and out of the house to do things. It is nice to start to settle in and feel like we are finally home in our new place. I am working on a summer product must have post for this week. There are a few different products that I have found that I want to share with you- so stay tuned!
Pesto Parmesan Potato Salad
- 2 1/2-3 lb red potatoes
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Boil potatoes until they are cooked through. Be careful not to overcook them and they begin to crumble.
- Remove cooked potatoes from water and place in a bowl with ice. Place in fridge and allow potatoes to cool.
- Once potatoes are cool, remove from fridge and slice them into bite size pieces. Place potatoes into a large mixing bowl.
- Add pesto, onions, Parmesan, and pepper to potatoes. Stir gently till all potatoes are coated and pesto evenly mixed.
- Serve, or place covered in fridge till you are ready to eat.
This salad can be made a day prior to serving as long as it is covered and chilled.