Old-Fashioned Ham Salad is a delicious way to use leftover ham to enjoy for lunch after a holiday meal. Ground cooked ham, sweet relish, mayo, salt, and pepper make a delicious salad enjoyed on bread, cracker, or all by itself!
My childhood holiday memories are rushing into my head right now! Ham salad was a staple in my grandmother’s house after we enjoyed a holiday ham as a family. It was tradition to make sandwiches for lunch the following day and to enjoy the salad for a day or two after….if it lasted that long!
The recipe is so simple. Chopped or ground ham, mayo, miracle whip, sweet relish and a little salt & pepper. Ham salad keeps in the fridge very nicely and stays nice and creamy. This is one of my all-time favorites, and I look forward to having it for lunch after the holidays each year now that we make it at home. I love to eat this on bread as a sandwich or on crackers for a quick bite or while I am lounging on the sofa watching a movie. I am a fan of sci-fi during the holidays, and it is a perfect opportunity to watch my favorite movie- Aliens while enjoying a tasty snack.
This recipe can also be enjoyed year-round because you can always order ground ham from your local deli!
What do you need to make Ham Salad?
- Cooked Ham
- Sweet Pickle Relish
- Miracle Whip
- Sweet Pickle Juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Sandwich Bread
- Food Processor
How do you make ham salad?
- Using a food processor or a meat grinder, grind the ham till is is course and in very small pieces. You do not want to puree and if you are using a food processor it works best to pulse.
- Place ham in a medium bowl. Add relish, mayo, miracle whip, pickle juice to the ham.
- Gently stir until evenly mixed. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Allow the ham salad to sit in the fridge for about 2 hours before serving.
- Suggested serving is on a sandwich or with crackers.
Looking for more delicious leftover ham recipes?
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- One-Pot Ham and Cheese Penne Pasta
- Slow Cooker Pea Soup with Potatoes and Ham
- Easy Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Ham and Cheese Gnocchi Skillet
Are you following me yet? What are you waiting for?
Old-Fashion Ham Salad
- 2 lb cooked ham
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2/3 cup miracle whip
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
Using a food processor or a meat grinder, grind the ham till is is course and in very small pieces. You do not want to puree and if you are using a food processor it works best to pulse.
Place ham in a medium bowl. Add relish, mayo, miracle whip, pickle juice to the ham.
Gently stir until evenly mixed. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Allow the ham salad to sit in the fridge for about 2 hours before serving.
Suggested serving is on a sandwich or with crackers.
- If you do not have a meat grinder or a food processor the ham can be finely diced by hand.
- If you are making this outside of holiday time you can order ground ham from the meat counter at your local store or butcher.
Cheese Curd In Paradise uses affiliate links. These links are at no additional cost to the reader and/or user. However, Cheese Curd In Paradise will make commission is you click the link AND make a purchase.
This post was originally published in 2015 and was updated in 2019 for reader enhancement and enjoyment.