Pepper Jack, Potato, and Bacon Soup is packed with hearty potatoes, smokey bacon, and creamy spicy pepper jack cheese. Ready in under 30-minutes, and a new family favorite for a busy night!
This post contains affiliate links.
June is National Dairy Month, and I thought there was no better way to celebrate than with cheesy creamy soups. Check out these delicious soups from a few of my blogging friends- each one packed with cheesy goodness to celebrate National Dairy Month!
- Cheese Curd In Paradise: Pepper Jack Potato and Bacon Soup
- Karen's Kitchen Stories: Sopa de Queso - Cheese Soup with Chiles and Potato
- Cindy's Recipes and Writings: Cheesy Broccoli Pesto Noodle Soup
- A Day in the Life on the Farm: Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Soup
- Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Chilled Watermelon and Rosé Soup
- Pandemonium Noshery: German Cheese and Leek Soup
- Sneha's Recipe: Vegetable Garlicky Cottage Cheese Soup
- Sid's Sea Palm Cooking: Chicken Cheezy Soup
- Hardly A Goddess: Weeknight Cheeseburger Soup with RealCheese!
According to the International Dairy Foods Association, "National Dairy Month started out as National Milk Month in 1937 as a way to promote drinking milk. It was initially created to stabilize the dairy demand when production was at a surplus, but has now developed into an annual tradition that celebrates the contributions the dairy industry has made to the world After the National Dairy Council stepped in to promote the cause, the name soon changed to Dairy Month."
Being that I am a Wisconsin girl- this is a great month to celebrate!
This is my new favorite soup. My husband and I love how packed it is with hearty ingredients! I use peeled and chopped russet potatoes, chopped onions, and a little green pepper for my veggies.
Using a bit of flour, chicken broth, and whole milk makes a creamy base for this soup.
Coupled with smokey bacon and freshly grated pepper jack make this soup filled with flavor. Another perk is that it is ready in 30-minutes! This soup is also a great way to use some of your summer veggies, and celebrate dairy with the whole milk and cheese!
Follow me on Twitter for more delicious happenings!
Are you following me yet? What are you waiting for?
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of cheese?
Yes, it will impact the flavor, but other alternatives are cheddar and monterey jack.
Can I use red potatoes?
Yes, I recommend keeping the skins on if using red potatoes.
Is this soup really spicy?
There is a very slight bit of heat to the soup. If you want it less spicy you could use half pepper jack and half monterey jack cheese. If you want more spice I would add a diced jalapeno when adding the green pepper and onion.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, but I have found that the potatoes do not hold well to freezing and the consistency will be less chunky. Freezing it will not give you the best quality soup.
Here are some of my favorite kitchen items to get you started with your soup:
Looking for more delicious dairy recipes?!
Pepper Jack Potato and Bacon Soup
- 2 ½ lbs russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 10 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ white onion, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the potatoes in a medium pot till fork tender. Drain the potatoes when they have finished cooking and set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking cook the bacon in a heavy bottomed soup kettle. Once cooked, add the peppers and onions. Cook till veggies are soft.
- Add flour, and stir to coat. Add the broth and the milk, and stir.
- Add the potatoes and allow the soup to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper jack cheese, and stir. Season with salt and pepper if desired.