I am a sucker for any type of little hot dog/sausage appetizer. I am also a sucker for anything containing everything bagel seasoning. My recipe for Mini Everything Bagel Dogs combines my love of sausage appetizers with my favorite seasoning. Normally, I love an everything bagel for breakfast with a bit of smoked salmon and a generous spread of veggie cream cheese, but there is no time like now to share that tasty topping with more favorites.
I cheat with this recipe and don’t make a traditional bagel dough. I use crescent rolls, but my trick is to brush the tops with a little egg wash that includes melted butter and garlic. This gives the bagel type texture to the outside, but is a great time saver. I love the extra garlic from the wash, and the seasoning! If you haven’t tried everything bagel seasoning before it contains: sesame seeds (white and black), sea salt flakes, dried minced garlic, dried minced onion, and poppy seeds. I buy mine from Trader Joe’s, but you can easily replicate your own version at home. For my sausages, I like to use a traditional lil smokie, but you could sub in a cheese smokie or turkey as well.
These are great party appetizers, and I am looking forward to making them while we gear-up for March Madness. I love participating in the different bracket contests, and we look forward to watching all of the games! Ron and I, of course, cheer for Wisconsin when they are in the tournament, but I am also a Kentucky fan. I plan to make these to share for a party. One question I receive is about keeping appetizers like this warm when they will be on a buffet type of table. I always toss them in my slow cooker and set it to warm. I have found that it keep the outside intact, but they stay nice and warm.
Follow me on Twitter for more yummy happenings!
I made these with my boys for a snack mid-afternoon because they love sausage appetizers, and I knew they would be happy taste testers. Little did I know that they would eat almost the entire pan! These boys of mine must be in a growth spurt because I can’t seem to keep up with them!
But, in their defense, it is hard to say no to these delicious little bites!
Mini Everything Bagel Dogs
- 14 oz lit’l smokies sausages
- 16 refrigerated crescent roles (2 tubes)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp everything bagel seasoning
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line a 11×17 baking sheet with a slip mat or parchment paper.
- Open the crescent rolls. Each tube will contain 8 rolls. Using a pizza cutter cut each triangle into 3 strips.
- Place a sausage at the thinner end of the crescent roll. Roll the dough around the sausage and place on the baking mat. You may need more than one baking sheet, or you can bake in batches.
- Mix together the egg, butter, and garlic powder. Brush each piece with the wash. Sprinkle the everything bagel seasoning evenly over the dogs.
- Bake for 14 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.