Lasagna Roll Up with Meat Sauce is the best easy make-ahead recipe around. Hearty pasta and cheese, layered with a flavorful meat sauce, and topped with more CHEESE. An instant family favorite.
Pasta, cheese, and meat. Is there anything that screams savory comfort food more than that trifecta? I think not. The ultimate delivery device for the three is lasagna, and today I am not sharing any old lasagna- I am sharing my recipe for Lasagna Roll Ups with Meat Sauce. These are one of my favorite pasta dishes, and my family goes nuts for them!
I love that I can make these in advance so they are ready for to pop in the oven for dinner whenever we are ready to eat. They are also a freezer friendly meal, and I love anything I can prep in advance during the school year! My kiddos love these so much they would have them on our menu weekly if it was up to them!
What You Need For Lasagna Roll Ups!
- Lean Ground Beef
- Tomato Paste
- Tomato Sauce
- Seasonings: Italian, Garlic, Salt, Parsley
- Lasagna Noodles
- Cheese: Ricotta, Parmesan, Mozzarella
- Rimmed Skillet
- Baking Dish
HELPFUL HINT: When rolling the Lasagna Roll Ups do it gently because otherwise the filling will come out the sides and not stay in your roll up! Once the roll ups cook the eggs and cheese will set in the roll ups.
Follow me on Twitter for more delicious happenings!
Are you following me yet? What are you waiting for?
Thank goodness for Lasagna Day! Check out more delicious recipes!
- Barefoot Contessa's Lasagna with Turkey Sausage by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Chicken Asparagus Lasagna by Sweet Beginnings
- Easy Instant Pot Lasagna by Palatable Pastime
- Lasagna Roll Ups with Meat Sauce by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Philly Cheesesteak Lasagna Roll Ups by Daily Dish Recipes
- Vincisgrassi by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- White Bolognese Lasagna by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use something different that ground beef?
Of course! Ground turkey or Italian sausage work well. You could also use mushrooms in place as well for a vegetarian option.
Can I use a blend of cheese other than mozzarella?
Yes, Italian blends (like a 4-cheese) work really well.
I am not a fan of ricotta. What can I use?
I am a fan of using small curd cottage cheese as a substitute.
If I am freezing the Lasagna Roll Ups how do I store them in the freezer?
I like to use an aluminum baking dish with a cover. I then don't have my bake-wear tied up in the freezer.
If I free my lasagna do I need to thaw it before it goes in the oven?
Yes, I like to thaw mine in the fridge. Once thawed bake as directed in recipe below.
Why is it important to let the lasagna roll ups rest when they come out of the oven?
I think it makes the pasta and cheese set is easier to serve. Sometimes when lasagna is really hot, and it is cut immediately the cheese and sauce sun all over and you don't get those nice bite with a little bit of everything.
Looking for more delicious pasta recipes?!
Lasagna Roll Ups with Meat Sauce
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ small white onion, diced
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 28 oz tomato sauce
- 15 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- In a medium rimmed skillet brown ground beef and onions. Drain excess grease.
- Add tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt, and garlic powder. Stir to evenly mix. Add tomato sauce and stir. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. While sauce is simmering cook the lasagna noodles.
- In a bowl, mix together ricotta, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt, eggs, and ¾ cup mozzarella cheese. Set Aside.
Assembly of Lasagna Rolls
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Place a cutting board on the counter and a 9x13 baking dish next t the work surface. Place ¾ cup of the sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Place a noodle on the flat surface. Spread a layer of ricotta mixture on the noodle and top with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese (about ¾ cup cheese for all 12 noodles).
- Roll up the noodle gently so the filling is not pushed out of the sides. Place seam-side down on the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles. Top noodles with ½ of remaining sauce and then ½ of remaining cheese. Repeat with the rest of the sauce, and the rest of the cheese. Sprinkle the top with parsley.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow pasta to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Cheese Curd In Paradise uses affiliate links. These links are at no additional cost to the reader and/or user. However, Cheese Curd In Paradise will make commission is you click the link AND make a purchase.