Do you need a killer appetizer or maybe a little snack for a few round robins during New Year festivities? My Dried Beef and Green Onion Cheese Ball is perfect for a quick appetizer, or maybe a few drop in guests.
My aunt always made a cheese ball similar to this during the holidays, and it was one of my favorite snacks when we visited during the holidays. Perfect to grab from the fridge, and super easy clean-up.
So what is a cheese ball? My husband never had a cheese ball before, and when I was describing it to him he was skeptical, but once he tried this cheese ball I think he ate half of it. I recently made another one for him to munch on while he watches t.v. at night. Side note: I still haven't found season 13 of Criminal Minds. If anyone can tell me where I can watch it I have a special prize for you.
This cheese ball is loaded is creamy cream cheese, salty dried beef, zesty ranch seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and a spice from sliced fresh green onions. That is it! I have seen some recipes that use a different seasoning blend, but I find the flavors of the buttermilk ranch packet to be perfect for me (and clearly my husband). Once assembled, the cheese ball is wrapped and sets in the fridge. Once it is set, unwrap and serve! So nice and simple!
I am planning to make another cheese ball to have out during New Year's since my husband will have the other one devoured pretty quickly. I know it will be a fast hit with our guests.
Do you have any go to New Year's appetizers? Anything super simple you want to share with this mom?? Since the boys will be with us quick and easy is the name of my game.
Wisconsin is having a cold snap, and we are getting towards the end of the boys winter break. I know that I am getting ready for the boys to go back to school, but overall it has been a really nice week with the boys and we had a chance to spend quality time together- last night included going out for tacos and going to an open swim!
Looking for more cheese ball recipes for the holidays and entertaining?
Ham and Pineapple Cheese Ball from Kylee Cooks
Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball from Kylee Cooks
Roasted Garlic Cheese Ball from Life’s Ambrosia
Check out more delicious New Year's appetizers:
Dried Beef and Green Onion Cheese Ball
- 16 oz plain cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- .4 oz buttermilk ranch seasoning packet
- 2 oz package dried beef, chopped
- 6 green onion, sliced
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and ranch seasoning till smooth.
- Next, stir in the beef and green onion. Gently stir till the mixture is evenly mixed.
- Cut a 12-inch piece of plastic wrap and then cut a second of the same size. Create a cross shape. Repeat this once more. This will allow you to easily wrap the cheese ball and get a round shape.
- Place the cheese mixture in the center of the plastic wrap. Wrap in the sides until the cheese is secure and round it gently with your hands. Place on a plate in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours before serving. Once opened the cheese ball will keep for about a week and a half if stored in an air tight container.
- To serve, unwrap and place on a plate. Serve with crackers and veggies.