Welcome to the March Fantastical Food Fight! The Fantastical Food Fight selects an ingredient each month as a theme, and we create recipes inspired by this theme. This month the theme is asparagus. Since spring is here it was the perfect choice.
I love asparagus, and look forward to it when the first signs of spring begin to emerge. Typically, we grill or roast our asparagus, but I was in the mood for something different and made these delicious asparagus fries. If you follow me on Instagram you know I talked about how amazing and crispy these fries are- so good! I use a very simple process to get the best crispy crust on my fries. Egg wash- flour/Parmesan-egg wash- Parmesan/panko. These yummy fries get two dunks into Parmesan, and the double egg wash gives them a nice sturdy exterior without frying, and they are perfect for dipping.
I serve these fries with a lemon pepper sauce, and it is a mouthwatering combo. The sauce is mayo based, and includes fresh lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, and a generous portion of pepper.
Follow me on Twitter for more delicious happenings!
I bake these fries for about 15 minutes, but I recommend keeping an eye on them around 13 minutes because the thickness of the asparagus can impact baking time. I like to get a medium thickness, like pictures, thin asparagus tends to not hold up as well, and thick tend to not be cooked in 15 minutes.
Check out more delicious asparagus recipes!
My husband, kiddos, and mom helped me taste test this recipe and they all loved our favorite veggie crispy and ready for dipping. My kids especially loved the sauce which I expected since they love to dunk their food these days. The sauce is delicious with the Parmesan crust- don't skip it!
Bacon, Egg, and Roasted Asparagus Salad
One Pot Pesto Feta Pasta with Asparagus
Crispy Baked Asparagus Fries with Lemon Pepper Sauce
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed (medium thickness)
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ¼ cups plain panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Lemon Pepper Sauce
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- juice of ½ a fresh lemon
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place three plates in the work area. One one place mix flour and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. One second plate, add the eggs. On the third plate, add panko, ¼ cup Parmesan, salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Place a few pieces of asparagus in the egg wash, next dip it in the flour, next dip it back in the egg wash, and finally roll to coat the asparagus in the panko. Place asparagus on the baking sheet. Complete process with remaining asparagus.
- Place asparagus in the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes. The coating will be light brown and crispy. While the asparagus cooks, make the sauce.
- To make the sauce, combine all sauce ingredients and stir. Set it in the fridge while you wait for the asparagus to finish cooking.
- Remove asparagus from the oven and serve with the lemon pepper sauce.
These look delicious! What a unique way to prepare asparagus!
Ros @ ZenHealth
Yumm!!! As soon as I get my hands on asparagus, I'm going to try this!
This recipe sounds amazing. Thanks.
Heather @ Join Us, Pull up a Chair
Oh these look amazing! I can't wait to try them!
Sarah E. (@sjanee11)
These are gorgeous! And the lemon pepper sauce?! I need to have that on hand at all times - it sounds so delish!
I am making these as soon as I buy asparagus again- love the dipping sauce too!
this is the way i want to be eating my asparagus. it looks so delicious and crispy!
Kylee from Kylee Cooks
Wow, Ashley - great pics!! These baked asparagus fries look incredible! Can't wait to give them a try.
I'll have to try this. My kids won't touch asparagus, but maybe this would make it doable in their eyes. 😉
Oh my goodness! This recipe is so good! So much better and healthier than french fries. My husband and I love asparagus. Thank you for showing me another fantastic way to cook it!
Wow, what a delicious way to eat asparagus!! These crispy asparagus looks super tempting and with that sauce it must be perfect!!!
I absolutely love asparagus. Now when they are in season I can't stop devouring them. I never tried fried version before. I must save this recipe and give it a try. Looks sooo delicious!
Asparagus fries are the best! They can start a party, keep you through the day or even be a great lunch snack. Definitely something I really enjoy!
Jersey Girl Cooks
I could eat a whole plate of this delicious asparagus!