Welcome to the March Fantastical Food Fight! The Fantastical Food Fight selects an ingredient each month as a theme, and we create recipes inspired by this theme. This month the theme is asparagus. Since spring is here it was the perfect choice.
I love asparagus, and look forward to it when the first signs of spring begin to emerge. Typically, we grill or roast our asparagus, but I was in the mood for something different and made these delicious asparagus fries. If you follow me on Instagram you know I talked about how amazing and crispy these fries are- so good! I use a very simple process to get the best crispy crust on my fries. Egg wash- flour/Parmesan-egg wash- Parmesan/panko. These yummy fries get two dunks into Parmesan, and the double egg wash gives them a nice sturdy exterior without frying, and they are perfect for dipping.
I serve these fries with a lemon pepper sauce, and it is a mouthwatering combo. The sauce is mayo based, and includes fresh lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, and a generous portion of pepper.
Follow me on Twitter for more delicious happenings!
I bake these fries for about 15 minutes, but I recommend keeping an eye on them around 13 minutes because the thickness of the asparagus can impact baking time. I like to get a medium thickness, like pictures, thin asparagus tends to not hold up as well, and thick tend to not be cooked in 15 minutes.
My husband, kiddos, and mom helped me taste test this recipe and they all loved our favorite veggie crispy and ready for dipping. My kids especially loved the sauce which I expected since they love to dunk their food these days. The sauce is delicious with the Parmesan crust- don’t skip it!
Crispy Baked Asparagus Fries with Lemon Pepper Sauce
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed (medium thickness)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Lemon Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place three plates in the work area. One one place mix flour and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. One second plate, add the eggs. On the third plate, add panko, 1/4 cup Parmesan, salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Place a few pieces of asparagus in the egg wash, next dip it in the flour, next dip it back in the egg wash, and finally roll to coat the asparagus in the panko. Place asparagus on the baking sheet. Complete process with remaining asparagus.
- Place asparagus in the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes. The coating will be light brown and crispy. While the asparagus cooks, make the sauce.
- To make the sauce, combine all sauce ingredients and stir. Set it in the fridge while you wait for the asparagus to finish cooking.
- Remove asparagus from the oven and serve with the lemon pepper sauce.