Calico Beans with Hamburger are not the average baked bean. These kicked up beans have 4 different types of beans, beef, bacon, onion. garlic, and BBQ sauce. Hearty, smokey, and savory these are a must for any BBQ!
I am still going strong with #BBQWeek! I am celebrating all thing BBQ this week with a handful of amazing blogging friends. We are here to beef-up your recipe book just in time for grilling season!
Today, I am sharing my recipe for Calico Beans with Hamburger. This is one of my all-time favorite side dishes, and I love the heartiness of this dish. I have even made this as an entree before, and it is always well loved.
- BBQ Grilled Corn on the Cob by The Spiffy Cookie
- Brown Butter Blondies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Calico Beans with Hamburger by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Patriotic Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- Easy White Bean Salad by Caroline's Cooking
- Grilled Eggplant, Tomatoes, and Burrata Platter by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Pineapple Salsa by Food Above Gold
- Grilled Pork Thai Bowl by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled BBQ Strawberry Shortcake by Our Good Life
- Grilled Tuscan Chicken Flatbreads by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetables with Whipped Avocado Feta Dip by Kate's Recipe Box
- Honey Citrus Chicken Sandwiches by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Jalapeno Bacon Baked Beans by Sweet Beginnings
- Kaiser Rolls by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- No Bake Oreos and Cream Dessert by Family Around the Table
- Red Skinned Potato Salad by The Beard and The Baker
- Salami and Cream Cheese Roll Ups by Cookaholic Wife
- S'mores Bars by Back To My Southern Roots
- Strawberry Green Iced Tea by Palatable Pastime
This 4-bean side dish includes great northern, pinto, butter, and baked beans. I add a little bacon, onion, garlic, hamburger, ketchup, BBQ sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. The flavors as sweet and smokey from the bacon and BBQ. The beans and hamburger offer a protein on protein side dish that is satisfying and so hearty. This is not your traditional, out of a can, and routine bean side dish!
This recipe is also slow cooker friendly, and the beans can be placed in the slow cooker and not cooked on the stove top for a time saver on a busy night, or if you want to prep in advance for a BBQ party.
Follow me of Twitter for more tasty happenings!
Are you following me yet? What are you waiting for?
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use different beans?
Yes. If you want to sub pinto for black beans that would work just fine, but I wouldn't sub the can of baked beans.
Can I add some heat?
Yes. Try a diced jalapeno with the onion and hamburger.
Is Bacon a must? Can I use ground turkey?
Nope! If you are not a fan of bacon just leave it out. Same goes for the onion. And yes, you can use ground turkey in place of beef.
How do I cook the beans in a slow cooker?
Cook the beef and onion till onion is tender and beef is not pink. Add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients. Gently stir. Cook on low for 3 hours. Set to warm once it has reached temperature.
What do I need to make these beans?
Looking for more delicious BBQ sides?!
Calico Beans with Hamburger
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 sliced of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 15.5 oz canned butter beans, drained
- 15.5 oz canned pinto beans, drained
- 15.5 oz Great Northern beans, drained
- 28 oz original flavor canned baked beans
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- In a dutch oven, brown beef and onion together until beef is not pink, and onions are tender.
- Add the beans, gently stir in the bacon, butter beans, pinto beans, northern beans, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat until warmed to desired temp.