Calico Beans with Hamburger are not the average baked bean. These kicked up beans have 4 different types of beans, beef, bacon, onion. garlic, and BBQ sauce. Hearty, smokey, and savory these are a must for any BBQ!
I am still going strong with #BBQWeek! I am celebrating all thing BBQ this week with a handful of amazing blogging friends. We are here to beef-up your recipe book just in time for grilling season!
Today, I am sharing my recipe for Calico Beans with Hamburger. This is one of my all-time favorite side dishes, and I love the heartiness of this dish. I have even made this as an entree before, and it is always well loved.
- BBQ Grilled Corn on the Cob by The Spiffy Cookie
- Brown Butter Blondies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Calico Beans with Hamburger by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Patriotic Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- Easy White Bean Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Eggplant, Tomatoes, and Burrata Platter by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Pineapple Salsa by Food Above Gold
- Grilled Pork Thai Bowl by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled BBQ Strawberry Shortcake by Our Good Life
- Grilled Tuscan Chicken Flatbreads by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetables with Whipped Avocado Feta Dip by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Honey Citrus Chicken Sandwiches by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Jalapeno Bacon Baked Beans by Sweet Beginnings
- Kaiser Rolls by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- No Bake Oreos and Cream Dessert by Family Around the Table
- Red Skinned Potato Salad by The Beard and The Baker
- Salami and Cream Cheese Roll Ups by Cookaholic Wife
- S’mores Bars by Back To My Southern Roots
- Strawberry Green Iced Tea by Palatable Pastime
This 4-bean side dish includes great northern, pinto, butter, and baked beans. I add a little bacon, onion, garlic, hamburger, ketchup, BBQ sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. The flavors as sweet and smokey from the bacon and BBQ. The beans and hamburger offer a protein on protein side dish that is satisfying and so hearty. This is not your traditional, out of a can, and routine bean side dish!
This recipe is also slow cooker friendly, and the beans can be placed in the slow cooker and not cooked on the stove top for a time saver on a busy night, or if you want to prep in advance for a BBQ party.
Follow me of Twitter for more tasty happenings!
Are you following me yet? What are you waiting for?
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use different beans?
Yes. If you want to sub pinto for black beans that would work just fine, but I wouldn’t sub the can of baked beans.
Can I add some heat?
Yes. Try a diced jalapeno with the onion and hamburger.
Is Bacon a must? Can I use ground turkey?
Nope! If you are not a fan of bacon just leave it out. Same goes for the onion. And yes, you can use ground turkey in place of beef.
How do I cook the beans in a slow cooker?
Cook the beef and onion till onion is tender and beef is not pink. Add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients. Gently stir. Cook on low for 3 hours. Set to warm once it has reached temperature.
What do I need to make these beans?
Looking for more delicious BBQ sides?!
Calico Beans with Hamburger
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 sliced of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 15.5 oz canned butter beans, drained
- 15.5 oz canned pinto beans, drained
- 15.5 oz Great Northern beans, drained
- 28 oz original flavor canned baked beans
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
In a dutch oven, brown beef and onion together until beef is not pink, and onions are tender.
Add the beans, gently stir in the bacon, butter beans, pinto beans, northern beans, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and salt and pepper.
Cook over low heat until warmed to desired temp.