Turkey Day is almost here, and I am sure that everyone hosting is getting their menu ready, or perhaps you have already decided what is on the menu for your meal. However, have you thought about what you are going to do with all of those delicious leftovers?
Turkey Pot Pie with Cheddar Garlic Biscuits is a perfect way to use some of your leftover turkey. It is warm and heart, and perfect to fuel you on a cold night, or maybe after a little Black Friday shopping.
This pot pie is loaded with all of the good stuff! Tender red potatoes, fresh veggies like onions, celery, carrots, and green beans. Next, I add shredded turkey and cook everything in a rich herb sauce. The finishing touch is a buttery cheddar garlic biscuit that bakes right on top. Another major plus is that this recipe can be made with chicken so there is not need to wait an entire year to make it after the Thursday leftovers have been gobbled-up (see what I did there). This recipe is delightfully easy, and the leftovers of the leftovers are tasty as well!
What are your plans for Thanksgiving? I cook at my parent’s house for my family, and my husband’s family, and we always have a big delicious spread of goodies.
This year our menu is:
Simple Butter Roasted Turkey and Pan Gravy
Homemade Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows and Strudel
Homemade Mac and Cheese
Cheese Beans (Ron’s request as it is a tradition for his family)
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Deviled Eggs & Relish Tray
Rolls and Homemade Bread
Dutch Apple, Pumpkin, and Pecan Pie
Whew….we will be eating leftovers forever- good this for this pot pie recipe! I have made the silly choice to wait to shop, and I am not looking forward to Tuesday night grocery shopping! You would think that after all these years I would have gotten wiser…..
Here are a few more Thanksgiving favorites to build your menu:
Turkey Pot Pie with Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, grated or cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp cold milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red potatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped carrots
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 cup kitchen cut green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 lb shredded cooked turkey (chicken can be substituted)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 14.75 oz can creamed corn
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Sift the first 3 ingredients together in a medium bowl.Add the butter and incorporate with a fork until you have a mealy texture.Gently stir in the sour cream, milk, cheddar, and garlic powder. Mix just until it is sticky and dough just comes together. Set aside while you complete the remaining prep work.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Saute potatoes, onion, carrot, celery and green beans in olive oil over medium heat in a large rimmed over safe skillet (I prefer to use a round cast iron casserole for this recipe). Cook until onions become translucent and other veggies begin to become tender.
- Add flour and stir to evenly coat all the veggies. Add the turkey and gently stir.
- Add the broth, milk, and thyme. Stir and bring to a light simmer to allow the sauce to slightly thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top the turkey mixture with the biscuit dough making 6 biscuits as pictured. Place in oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.