Welcome to the Saturday Soup Swap!
Soup is one of my favorite meals this time of year, and I was excited to be the host of this month’s swap. As host, I selected pumpkin and squash soups as a seasonal theme. I love a creamy squash soup, and knew I needed to create the perfect recipe to share with you for the November swap.
Today I am sharing Creamy Maple Squash Soup with Goat Cheese and Bacon. This soup has it all. Velvety smooth due to a a butternut squash and cream base. Blended with flavors from onions, celery, and garlic, and a light sweetness from the maple, and rich tang from the goat cheese. The finishing touch is a topping of crisp smokey bacon, and a little more goat cheese. Comforting fall perfection wrapped up in a little steaming bowl.
I know that some families have the tradition of serving soup on Thanksgiving, and this soup is a perfect addition to a holiday spread. It is rich, but not too heavy, and has a bit of a twist with the flavor combo of goat cheese, maple, and bacon to set it apart from other creamy squash soups. The color is a beautiful light golden yellow, and with the toppings it is one beautiful bowl. I know I am happy that I can have a bowl of this to enjoy with the snow and chill coming into our region!
Today I am up early and off to an early morning barre class. It is my studio’s 3 year anniversary and there are all sorts of fun activities going on. I know that getting to a 6 a.m. work out class is not everyone’s cup of tea, but it gets my day going and I can get back home just as the kids are rolling out of bed…unless you are Rowan, my youngest, and are up at 5:30 a.m. to build Duplo towers each morning. We are headed to the Holiday parade and then dinner with friends in the evening.
Check out the soups from my fellow swappers in the link-up below! What are some of your favorites soups? Do you have a cold weather tradition or a soup you make for a snowy day? I know mine is usually something creamy or, my favorite, chili.
Creamy Maple Squash Soup with Goat Cheese and Bacon
- 5 strips center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3 oz goat cheese, plus extra for topping
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To cube squash, cut the squash in half length-wise and slice into rounds. Peel and cube. Place squash in a microwave safe bowl with a lid. Add 2/3 cup water and steam for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Drain remaining water and set aside.
- In a pot, cook the bacon till crisp. Remove and place bacon on a paper towel lines plate and set aside.
- Add onions, celery, and garlic. Cook until onions become tender. Add squash, goat cheese, broth, cream, and maple syrup. Cover and lightly simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and blend using an immersion blender. If you do not have an immersion blender an regular blender can be used, but be sure to check the recommendations of you blender with hot liquids.
- Once smooth, season with salt and pepper. Allow flavors to blend for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve and top with crumbled goat cheese and bacon.