It is no secret that I love olives and all things briny in flavor. Las week I made pesto marinated grilled pork chops and we needed a side dish to serve with our pork chops. I had some feta to use and happened to have some orzo in our pantry. This is a very easy dish to make and since it is all made in the same pot that means minimal dishes! This is not a vegetarian dish because I used chicken broth, but subbing in vegetable broth or stock out be delicious as well.
School is going well! Thanks for your nice encouraging e-mails and messages! I am approaching a few exams next week and this week have started tutoring in a high school personal financial literacy class and am enjoying being in the schools! I am hoping to be done with my program by fall (potentially summer) of 2018!
This weekend we have a date night on Saturday and are attending a friends wedding! I am also planning a few barre classes and potentially bottomless mimosas to follow. Of course there will be some homework in there as well. One of my new favorite brunch places is The Cannery. I am obsessed with their smoked salmon eggs benedict with salsa verde….yum.
Currently, Ron and I are watching the Packer/Bear game. The Pack is up by 14 points- Go Pack Go! We also started Homeland (and the new season of Survivor) this week and really like it so far- have you guys watched this series?
Warm Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup halved kalmata olives
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, plus a little extra for topping
- 1/3 cup halved tomatoes
- Heat olive oil in large rimmed skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook about a minute.
- Add the orzo and stir to coat in the oil. Add pepper, onion powder and oregano and stir.
- Add the broth is a half cup as a time as each each half cup is absorbed and allow mixture to slightly simmer.
- With the last half cup for broth add the olives, pepper, cheese and tomatoes. Cook till broth is absorbed and orzo is tender. If you need to add additional broth that is not a problem, but add slowly so there is not too much liquid.
- Remove from heat and serve. Top with additional feta if desired.