Breakfasts have always been something I strive to get better about when the kiddos return to school. Most of our morning meals are cereal or toaster waffles before jetting off to school or camp. However, I worry about the kids keeping their bellies full and being satisfied with a little bowl of cereal. Both of my kids love eggs, and I created a recipe that uses two of their favorite hot breakfast staples.
Loaded Egg and Toast Cups.
This recipe feature uses the bread to create a hearty base for the eggs to soak into. The texture is custard-like the cheese melts perfectly into the layers of toast and egg. My kids love bell peppers, and I included mushrooms because they are a favorite of mine, but you could use other veggies. If you change the veggies, I recommend cutting them into the directed size so that they cook evenly with the eggs. I like to add a little bacon to our egg cups as well because I really enjoy the smoked favor, and the additional savory and salty taste with the eggs. Another note on this recipe, when you remove them from the oven give them a few minutes before removing from the tin. I use a flat dull butter knife to run along the edges and to help pop them from the cups.
My kids love these muffins, and they are a great breakfast to make for before school, or in advance for a family trip for a quick and affordable breakfast.
Speaking of quick and affordable breakfasts while on vacation- we are having a blast at the Wisconsin Dells. You better believe that I brought a container of these with me because we want to maximize our time at the water park! Kellen is just starting to try some of the slides, and we are really enjoying them. Rowan is a little too young for slides, but he is enjoying splashing in the wave pool with Ron and I. The weather is a little chilly today and thankfully there are lots of indoor activities...including laser tag! Look out children.
Meat Lovers Breakfast Casserole
Loaded Egg and Toast Cups
- 3 pieces of bread, finely chopped
- 8 large eggs
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅔ cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoon diced bell pepper, any color
- 3 tablespoon diced fresh mushrooms
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and finely chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Divide the finely chopped bread between the 12 muffin cups. You should use a standard size slice of bread and have enough to just cover the bottom of the muffin cup.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Divide egg mixture between the 12 muffin cups. Top each cup with about a teaspoon of cheese. Place in the fridge to allow eggs to soak into the bread while you chop the veggies.
- Chop peppers and mushrooms. You want to pieces the be very small so they cook quickly. Remove eggs from fridge and evenly divide the veggies into the muffin cups.
- Evenly, distribute the chopped bacon in the egg cups.
- Top egg cups with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
This is perfect for me I am always looking for that individual breakfast and these cups are great when your on the go!
These cuties would be so great for my and my kids breakfast on a busy morning! I think we even can take them with us on the road!
What a wonderful idea!! The toast cups are ideal for serving at breakfast or brunch. We are so bored with our usual scrambled eggs or oatmeal. BLAH!! The loaded eggs with the bread would certainly pique my appetite. Thank you for sharing.
Colleen - Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck
These look like the perfect little breakfast treat!
Amy (Savory Moments)
These are a perfect breakfast or snack and I love that you use bread in them.