St. Patrick’s Day is around the corner, and I promised to share a few of my favorite recipes with you. Today I am pulling out the big guns, and sharing my favorite recipe for Easy Corned Beef and Cabbage.
I made a few small modifications to the original recipe. I used a bit more carrots and opted for baby carrots over chopped. I also decreased the apple juice and used a little brown sugar. The result is tender beef that is perfectly seasoned, and fall apart. Besides the flavorful meat, the veggies are slow cooked in all the spices, and are out of this world yummy.
Just look at that tender brisket!
Follow me on Twitter for more yummy happenings!
My other favorite thing about making this dish is to use the leftovers, if there are any, to make corned beef hash for breakfast. I don’t have a written recipe, but we chop the corned beef, grate a few baked potatoes, and fry it in our cast iron pan with butter, salt, and lots of black pepper. Top it with a few poached eggs and we have a perfect breakfast to enjoy.
Do you have a tried and true method for corned beef and cabbage? I am always really curious on everyone’s methods because everyone has their own set of tricks for dishes like this one- for me it is the apple juice and brown sugar.
Easy Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 3 1/2 lbs corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium head of green cabbage, cored and cut into small wedges
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Place carrots and onions on the bottom of a large Dutch oven, then put the corned beef on top. Arrange the cabbage wedges around the beef.
- Mix juice, water, sugar and pepper together. Sprinkle spice packet over the corned beef. Pour water mixture over the beef and cabbage.
- Cover and place in the oven. Cook 5 hours until the beef is tender. Remove beef, slice, and serve with the vegetables.