I have a few taco lovers in my house (myself included). I love crunchy tacos, but we like to try different recipes with our favorite taco flavors.
I do not cook with orzo often, but our store has a pasta sale (I know right? Yum!), and I picked up a box and decided to make a taco inspired meal. I thought orzo was a perfect vehicle for a one-pot meal (another one of my favorite things).
I opted for a lean ground beef, but ground turkey would work great. I also added some onions, mild green chilies, tomato, some taco sauce, and taco seasoning- of course. This meal comes together so fast and is so delicious! Kellen exclaimed half-way into his meal “I love this orzo!” Music to my ears.
I thought sharing this taco recipe was perfect for this week considering it is Kellen’s birthday week and my little guy is a taco lover extraordinaire. Like I mentioned in my weekly meal plan post, our theme for the party this weekend is Dragons Love Tacos.
One-Pot Cheesy Taco Orzo
- 1 ½ lbs lean ground beef or turkey
- ½ medium onion diced
- 4 oz diced green chilies
- 1 oz packet taco seasoning
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup taco sauce I use mild
- 2 ½ cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked orzo
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced green onion black olives, tomatoes, shredded cheese, for topping
- In a large rimmed skillet, brown beef with diced onion till no longer pink. Drain excess grease.
- Add chilies, taco seasoning, tomato sauce, garlic powder, taco sauce, chicken broth and orzo. Stir well.
- Cover and simmer for about 8-10 minutes, or until orzo is tender. Top with cheese and other desired toppings and serve.
Tried this recipe? I'd love to see it! Mention @CheeseCurdInParadise or tag #cheesecurdinparadise on Instagram!