Happy Pi Day (Part Two!)
This round-up is with ladies from my cooking board to celebrate Pi Day and share delicious concoctions. Big thanks to Kate from Kate’s Recipe Box for organizing and hosting our round-up!
So, I previously posted a sweet recipe for S’mores Brownie Pie and I wanted to share something savory for this round-up. There are so many different variations on a savory pie that are just as delicious I couldn’t leave them out! I love pot pies and debated between a few ideas before deciding on a pizza pot pie.
I decided to make them individual because I have 4 -4.5 inch 16 oz oven safe onion soup bowls which work perfectly for a pot pie. If you do not have something like this you could use a pie plate, but would need to manipulate the biscuit dough a bit to get the bottom to stay together. Our family loves pizza, but we are across the board when it comes to toppings. However, one thing we can all agree on is pepperoni pizza. I decided that keeping the recipe simple was the best way to keep it family friendly and weeknight quick. The toppings are layers up like a lasagna over a biscuit crust and topped with an additional flaky biscuit. One tricky part is making sure that your top biscuit is done in the center and depending on what size dish you prepare the pot pie in can create a little variation.
I loved these pot pies! Digging in with a spoon into gooey cheese and zesty sauce is so oddly satisfying. I love pulling up a bite with the long strings of cheese clinging on the the pipping hot pepperoni. The bottom biscuit turns into a crust and is a lot like your very own deep dish. Kellen was really excited when I placed this in front of him because for Kellen, pizza equals true love.
I am headed to Door County for the day to bring Kellen to a parade with friends- have a great Saturday!
Check out the other bloggers and their delicious pies to celebrate Pi!
Pies for Pi Day
Strawberry Pop Tart Pie from Kate’s Recipe Box
Indiana Sugar Cream Pie from Eva Bakes
Coconut Cream Pie from Relish
Individual Pepperoni Pizza Pot Pies from Cheese Curd in Paradise
Lemon Cheesecake Pie from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Chocolate Pecan Pie from Cookaholic Wife
Sweet Potato Pie from Kosher Kitchen
Individual Pepperoni Pizza Pot Pies
- 8 refrigerator biscuits with flaky layers
- 36 pepperoni slices
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray baking dishes with cooking spray or grease lightly with olive oil. Place one biscuit in the bottom on each dish and work the dough slightly up the sides (about 1/2 - 1 inch).
- Place 3 pepperoni slices on top of the dough. Layer 1 tablespoon of sauce followed by 1 tablespoon of cheese. Repeat twice more (the final portion of sauce and cheese will be a little larger). Place a biscuit on top of the pizza toppings. Slightly stretch the biscuit, but do not connect it to the sides of the dish. lightly brush the biscuit with olive oil and sprinkle the top with Italian seasoning.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes till the biscuit is golden and cooked through. Serve hot in the ramekins.