Thursday is normally the traditional throwback day and a change to get a little nostalgic, but we are going to have a little #FBF today. I think everyone my age had pork chop casserole at some point during their childhood. I have a co-worker who makes a pork chop casserole often and it got me thinking about making my own variation on this retro family recipe. I make my own cream of chicken soup for recipes like this, but canned works if that is what you have on hand. I also prefer cheddar cheese, but if you like something else by all means go to town. This recipe is really easy and something you can put together ahead of time during a busy week and pop in the oven at dinner time. My favorite part of the casserole? The onions in the hashbrowns and on top of the casserole...so good. I do not make my own, but if you are so inclined you certainly could do it. One note of preparing early: add the onions on top before it goes in the oven so they do not get soggy- no one wants a soggy semi crispy onion.
My family loves this recipe and Kellen's love of all things pork has moved into pork chops. This recipe also makes fantastic leftover for the following day. I made this recipe with 4 pork chops since they were larger and had a bit of potatoes left. I loved this because I ate them for breakfast with my egg the following morning- yum!
I am so happy that is is Friday....long week... I am also excited because my Kayla and I are taking the kids to an bouncy type place tomorrow morning. In reality I am just excited to jump around..... In the evening my friend Amanda is coming to town to grab dinner and drinks at Plae Bistro (my favorite!).
Have a wonderful and relaxing weekend!
Cheesy Pork Chop and Potato Casserole
- 6 boneless pork chops, ½-inch thick
- 21 oz cream of chicken soup, 2 regular sized cans
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 oz onion soup packet
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ⅔ cup milk
- 32 oz frozen hashbrowns, thawed
- 6 oz crispy onion topping, divided
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish by lightly greasing it with cooking spray.
- Mix soup, sour cream, garlic powder, pepper, onion soup packet, 1 cup cheese, and milk in a large mixing bowl.
- Once combined, mix in the thawed hashbrowns, and spread into the prepared baking dish.
- Nestle pork chops on top of the hashbrowns. Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese and finish with crispy onions.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until pork internal temperature reaches 150 °F for medium well.
This recipe can use 4-6 pork chops. I try to get chops around ½ in thickness. A thinner or thicker chop will impact cooking time.
Tried this recipe? I'd love to see it! Mention @CheeseCurdInParadise or tag #cheesecurdinparadise on Instagram!