Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! We have a lovely meal and movie planned for the evening. Ron and I have been making grilled steak (even in the snow) with a delicious onion and blue cheese sauce for the past few Valentine’s Day dinners, and Ron requested triple chocolate cheesecake for dessert…. we may have to detox for the next week! I know some people think Valentine’s Day is cheesy, but I love it. I think we should show each other how much we love each other everyday, but I don’t think it hurts to have an extra special day too.
I found these cookies on Pam’s blog For the Love of Cooking. I thought they were so cute and perfect for a work treat today. I decided to make them a little more wild with the stripped candy kiss. These cookies are so yummy, and super easy. I added an egg to the original recipe because my dough came out a bit dry and I was looking for a soft cookie. A great treat for the day of L-O-V-E!
Wild Cherry Kiss Cookies
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp maraschino cherry juice
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 drops of red food dye optional
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries chopped up
- White sugar to roll the cookies in
- 36 chocolate hugs (white chocolate kisses)
- Beat the butter with a mixer until creamy and smooth. Add the sugar, maraschino cherry juice, vanilla extract, egg, and red food dye (if using); beat with a mixer until smooth. Mix the flour and salt together then pour in batches into the dough. Mix with the beater, making sure to wipe the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the cherries and mix well with spoon. Place the dough into the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat.
- Roll the cookie dough into small balls then drop into a bowl of sugar; roll to coat evenly. Place the balls on the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart; press your thumb down in the center of the cookie gently. Repeat.
- Place into the oven and bake for 13-14 minutes. Remove them from the oven and immediately place a kiss in the center of each cookie. Let them set up on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool.