Cranberry Gingerbread Upside Down Cake is a mix of holiday favorites. Moist and rich gingerbread cake baked with fresh cranberries, and topped with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Gingerbread is a holiday staple for me. I love the flavor in almost any sweet- cake, cookies, coffee, bread, cheesecake…you name it and I am a fan. It is hard to beat a traditional gingerbread cookie, but my recipe for Cranberry Gingerbread Upside Down Cake is one of my favorite holiday desserts.
In addition to loving gingerbread, I also love cranberries. The combination of the two together is one of my favorite flavor pairings.
Upside Down cake is a wonderful way to get really a really moist cake. The batter is placed over the chosen fruit and baked to get a gooey bottom that is eventually flipped to become the top. The gingerbread in this cake is so rich and full of flavor and the tart cranberries are the perfect combo for this cake. I like to keep this cake simple with a light dusting of powdered sugar, but a little whipped cream would be delicious as well.
Check out even more gingerbread recipes to celebrate all thing gingerbread for National Gingerbread Cookie Day!
- Candied Ginger-bread Snaps by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cranberry Gingerbread Upsidedown Cake by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Gingerbread Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Gingerbread Biscotti by Sweet Beginnings
- Gingerbread Bundt with Cookie Butter Frosting by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gingerbread Cheesecake Dip by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Gingerbread Donuts by The Redhead Baker
- Gingerbread Hot Cocoa by Our Good Life |
- Gingerbread Shortbread by Palatable Pastime
- Gingerbread Waffles by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pogen’s Ginger Snaps (Copycat) by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
What do you need to make Cranberry Gingerbread Upside-Down Cake?
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Cold Water
- Baking Soda
- Ground Ginger
- Fresh Cranberries
- Springform Pan or a Cake Pan
- Parchment Paper Liners
How do you make Cranberry Gingerbread Upstide-Down Cake?
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch spingform cake pan with butter and set aside.
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, combine egg, sugars, molasses, butter, and water and mix well. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger and salt. Slowly, add the flour mixture to the molasses mixture while mixing on low speed.
- Evenly spread cranberries in the cake pan. Evenly pour the batter into cake pan, and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick is almost clean when inserted into the middle of the cake (you will have some crumbs, but not raw batter).
- Remove from oven and allow the cake to slightly cool so you can handle the cake pan. Flip upside down and gently remove the springform.
Frequently Asked Questions
My springform is leaking- what can I do?
The can can be wrapped in foil to help prevent leaks. Sometimes springforms can warp and it can cause issues with leaking.
My cake has a little too much height in the middle and is not flat to flip- what should I do?
Trim some of the gingerbread so that is can sit relatively flat on a plate.
Can I use cranberry sauce?
I have not tested it with cranberry sauce. It will likely not stay separate, but will still be tasty. It might work better to swirl the sauce into the cake versus putting it at the bottom.
Are you following me yet? What are you waiting for?
Cranberry Gingerbread Upside Down Cake
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 stick of unsalted butter melted (+ an additional non-melted Tbl to butter the cake pan)
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch spingform cake pan with butter and set aside.
In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, combine egg, sugars, molasses, butter, and water and mix well. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger and salt. Slowly, add the flour mixture to the molasses mixture while mixing on low speed.
Evenly spread cranberries in the cake pan. Evenly pour the batter into cake pan, and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick is almost clean when inserted into the middle of the cake (you will have some crumbs, but not raw batter).
Remove from oven and allow the cake to slightly cool so you can handle the cake pan. Flip upside down and gently remove the springform.
* A regular 9-in cake can be used. I recommend lining the bottom with a circular piece of parchment paper to prevent the cake from sticking in the pan. *
This post was originally created in 2015, and updated in 2019 for reader enhancement and recipe updating.
Cheese Curd In Paradise uses affiliate links. These links are at no additional cost to the reader and/or user. However, Cheese Curd In Paradise will make commission is you click the link AND make a purchase.