Happy Halloween and to celebrate I am bringing you a special Secret Recipe Club Reveal: Fall Dishes!
Our theme is all about fall: bonfires, pumpkin everything, crisp air, and warm meals. Fall is my favorite season and I love fall traditions with my family, and I especially love Halloween!
For our swap I received Nichole’s blog Cookaholic Wife. I was excited to get Nichole’s blog because we have been in a cooking board together for a few years. Nichole lives in Maryland with her husband a her kitties (a fellow cat lover!). She loves feeding her family and hosts them for holidays. I can attest, since I have read Nichole’s blog for a number of years, her recipes are fantastic. A few of my favorites are: Vanilla Bourbon Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin & Sausage Penne, Pumpkin Mac & Cheese, and Spaghetti Squash with Pancetta and Peas. Can you see my mind was on all things pumpkin? I know there are jokes about pumpkin and predictable holiday choices….basic…whatever…. I love pumpkin. So what pumpkin/squash recipe did I pick? Pumpkin Chili– oh my was this delicious.
The original recipe called for can of tomato soup and I opted to use a can of tomato sauce and a can of petite diced tomatoes. The swap was an accident because I made the soup for Kellen for lunch the previous day not even thinking that I had the chili on the menu the following evening! Oops! I actually liked the swap because I think the condensed soup might have made it a little sweet for me and this flavor was absolutely perfect! I loved that I could get hints of pumpkin, but not overpowered- even using an entire can!
Thank you Nichole for a wonderful recipe! I already have my family asking me for this new family favorite!
Happy Halloween everyone!
Servings 6 people
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 32 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz canned pumpkin puree
- 14 1/2 oz can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- Cheese, Sour Cream, and Crackers for Garnish
- In a pot, brown ground beef till it is no longer pink. Add onion and pepper and cook till slightly tender.
- Stir in the spices to evenly coat the meat. Add kidney beans, pumpkin puree, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls. Top with sour cream and cheese, if desired.