Hello from Sanibel Island, Florida!
We are starting off our week at our resort and enjoying the lovely pools, fruity drinks, cool ocean and sandy beaches full of shells!
However, I couldn’t leave for a week and not share a new tasty recipe with all of you! This recipe came about someplace in between a burrito craving and cleaning out my pantry. I love casseroles full of flavor and goodies and this casserole doesn’t disappoint! It is full of beans, beef, corn, spicy chilies, tomatoes and cheese. The topper of this casserole is crispy potato rounds. I have no shame in my love of tater tots and these little rounds are a perfect topper for my casserole. Kellen, Ron and I loved this casserole and it reheated perfectly for lunch leftover the following afternoon.
After making the casserole I was at a loss what to call it and Ron came up with this name and I thought it was perfect!
Enjoy the casserole and see you soon!
King Crown Burrito Casserole
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 11 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz can of corn, drained
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tbsps chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 20 oz crispy crown tater tots, about 2/3 of the bag
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large rimmed skillet, brown beef with onions, peppers and garlic. Drain excess grease. Add corn, beans and tomatoes. Add seasonings and allow beef mixture to cook for a few minutes. Spread beef into the casserole dish and top evenly with cheese. Arrange tater crowns over the casserole.
- Bake 45-60 minutes.